Espied in SF: Filipino Friday!

« Home | Hello, My Name is... » | A Cup of Joe and a Smile » | Warm and Sunny Days » | The Last DBH Posting » | ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo! » | That's it! I'm moving back to the MidWest! » | The Door of Doom! » | Espied Went to the De Young... » | Ingleside Adventure, last part » | A View from the Top » 

Friday, May 12, 2006 

Filipino Friday!


Things I Have Found on the Street Week concludes with the highly anticipated Filipino Friday! Feel the excitement!


The language exercise above involves Susan and Peter talking about their friend Rupert. Rupert? Odd name, you might ask? Ask a Filipino. Every Filipino knows at least one Rupert. It's kinda like the John of the Phillipines.

I digress...

I translated this for you:

Susan: We are invited to Rupert's wedding.

Peter: Where?

Susan: At Pamela's house, in Quezon City.

Peter: When?

Susan: On July 26th.

Peter: How old is Rupert?

Susan: Twenty-six.

Peter: What year was Rupert born?

Susan: In 1977. Okay, can you go?

Peter: What day is it?

Susan: Saturday. At four in the afternoon.

Peter: Okay, I'm going!

Pretty exciting stuff, huh? I translated that all by my lonesome. Not bad for a white boy from the MidWest! Of course, I had a little help from this book. I took a Tagalog class a few years back. I still can't hold a conversation with my fiancé's family in Tagalog, but I can say some really dirty things! Things that I will never say to my fiancé's family.

By the way, is it just me or is Peter a bit slow? Do the math Peter!

This here is the Santo Niño. At least that's what I was told by my fiancé and her cousins. I'm still not too sure about this. He looks a little like the Buddha. Plus, the flag on the left looks suspiciously like the South Vietnamese flag, albeit a little faded.

Does anyone have input on this one? Don't leave me hanging, leave a comment.

This concludes Things I Have Found on the Street Week! Perhaps I will have a sequel. I need to start looking for more things...

nako!!! naintindihan mo yun? swerte, kuya! mas mahusay ka na!

Racist.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm t.a.f.k.a.y.e.l.r.a.
  • From San Francisco, California, United States
My profile
www.flickr.com
The Staff at the Painted Ground's photos More of The Staff at the Painted Ground's photos

The Other Site